Ir. Sjef van Gastel
- Mechanical design engineer at Philips Elcoma Mechanization dept.: 1979-1985
- Group leader at Philips CFT: 1985-1992
- Project manager at Philips EMT: 1992-1998
- Manager Advanced Development at Assembleon: 1998-2014
- Manager technologies & patents at Assembleon: 2014-2016
- Senior strategic marketing manaher at Kulicke & Soffa: 2016-present
- Director innovative production technologies at Fontys University of Applied Science: 2014-present
Master in Mechanical Engineering (honors degree) at TU Eindhoven.
Current company & field of expertise:
Fontys University of Applied Science: Applied research towards process windows and applications for additive manufacturing. Focus on FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) and SLM (Selective Laser Melting) processes, design guidelines and ‘Killer Application’ investigation for AM.
Director of research group for Additive Manufacturing at Fontys Center of Expertise Hightech Systems & materials.
Motivation to lecture:
The opportunities and benefits of additive manufacturing for high-tech machine design (example: topology optimization, freeform surfaces, mass reduction, stiffness optimization, integration of functions) are still largely unknown. The course ‘Design for Additive Manufacturing’ will help you to discover the potential of this fast growing production technology for your business applications.
2011 winner of Trail Blazer Award for sustaining a legacy of environmental stewardship in electronics manufacturing at Productronica Munich.