Switch-mode power supplies - Full
Expected in 2018
Price:€ 2.600,00 excl. VAT
Duration:2 modules of 3 consecutive days
Contact:email@example.com, +31 85 401 3600
A Switch-mode Power Supply (SMPS) is used in an abundant number of applications, much more than a linear supply. But a SMPS is much more complex than a linear design and requires generally more components, especially when the output voltage has to be very stable over a wide range of load and input voltage variations. A rough calculation on efficiency shows why they nevertheless are used in so many applications. Moreover they are generally more compact and lighter.
On switch-mode power supplies, a Full course (2 modules of 3 days) and a Short course (2.5 days) are available.
The Full course discusses the design of switch mode power supplies, general topologies, components of power circuits and switching devices. The topologies discussed are used for applications up to approximately 300 W.
The Short course discusses insights and the characteristics of a SMPS, sufficiently to become a knowledgeable partner of (component) suppliers and users of their products.
After the course, the participant will:
- Have obtained detailed insight in a SMPS and the various topologies;
- Be able to design, calculate, simulate, and evaluate modern power supply concepts;
- Be familiar with the relevant technical terminology in discussions with e.g. component suppliers and the users of their products;
- Be able to discuss in depth the technical details with their counterparts;
- Have knowledge of EMC- and safety aspects.
Designers (level: BSc/MSc electronics, specialization analog electronics) of power supplies, designers of their specific components like wire wound components, switching devices and integrated control circuits. Engineers who have to repair a SMPS.
- Introduction to SMPS topologies
- The switching behaviour of power semiconductors
- Magnetic components
- Drive of power switches and protections of power supplies
- Survey of EMC measures
- Input circuitry, preconditioners
- Safeguarding the efficiency with low loads
- The Self Oscillating Power Supply, SOPS
- Halfbridge LLC resonant convertor
- SMPS for a PC application
Lectures supported by exercises and homework after module 1. Course notes.
Certificate of The High Tech Institute if the results of the home assignment after module 1 is positive.
‘‘Practical ins and outs which were really unique and can't be found in any literature.” Isaak de Visser - Heliox
‘‘Good level, well organized.” Jeroen Claessens - ASML
‘‘Extensive, very solid background for SMPS. Good practical examples/approach that is hard to find in textbooks or other trainings.” Marijn van Dongen - NXP Semiconductors
‘‘Most import items I have learned: In depth details of an SMPS, tips and tricks.” Jasper Vrielink - Brunelco
Expected in 2018