Switch-mode power supplies - Short
Expected in Q1 2018
Price:€ 1.250,00 excl. VAT
Duration:1 module of consecutively one evening & two days
A Switch-mode Power Supply (SMPS) is used in an abundant number of applications, much more than a linear supply. But a SMPS is much more complex than a linear design and requires generally more components, especially when the output voltage has to be very stable over a wide range of load and input voltage variations. A rough calculation on efficiency shows why they nevertheless are used in so many applications. Moreover they are generally more compact and lighter.
On switch-mode power supplies, a Full course (2 modules of 3 days) and a Short course (2.5 days) are available.
The Full course discusses the design of switch mode power supplies, general topologies, components of power circuits and switching devices. The topologies discussed are used for applications up to approximately 300 W.
The Short course discusses insights and the characteristics of a SMPS, sufficiently to become a knowledgeable partner of (component) suppliers and users of their products.
After the course, the participant will:
- Have obtained global insight in a SMPS and the various topologies;
- Be able to make and discuss a specification for a custom SMPS, to discuss the technical properties of a designed SMPS;
- Be familiar with the relevant technical terminology in discussions with e.g. component suppliers and the users of their products;
- Be able to advise on the selection of a SMPS from available SMPS's;
- Be aware of EMC-, thermal-, reliability- and safety aspects.
Engineers who have to select a SMPS for their application, project leaders, architects, buyers of electronic equipment and components, engineers working at distributors. Engineers who have to write and discuss a SMPS specification with suppliers of custom made SMPS's, to discuss the technical properties of a designed SMPS, layouters and testers of boards with a SMPS. Required education: BSc/MSc electronics, specialization analog electronics.
Introduction: input, output, power, safety, EMI, efficiency, thermal aspects, packaging, open frame, reliability
- Architecture SMPS
- SMPS topologies (downconverter, forward, boost, flyback, resonant halfbridge): how do they work, what are their advantages and disadvantages and which topology fits the best for what situation.
- Behavior of switches (MOSFET, diode): causes of the loss of a SMPS, what can be done, reliability pitfalls.
- Design of the magnetics, what aspects play a role, compromises in transformers.
- Properties of the other components used (their impact on the performance of a SMPS, including do’s and don’ts): opto couplers, (electrolytic) capacitors, ceramic capacitors
- Optimization of the efficiency
- Mechanical construction, reliability, safety, thermal behavior
- EMC, introduction, requirements, causes of not acceptable interference, reduction possibilities
- How to improve the reliability, difference between lifetime and MTBF, testing possibilities
- Minimal dimensions, compromise between size and efficiency, use of fans
- Specifications and test
Lectures supported by quizzes/small exercises. Course notes.
Certificate of the High Tech Institute
Expected in Q1 2018