Embedded Linux Training
Expected in the Spring 2017
Price:€ 3.225,00 excl. VAT
Duration:5 consecutive days
Contact:firstname.lastname@example.org, +31 85 401 3600
This 5-day training is intended for developers who want to develop for or build an Embedded Linux system from scratch or from commercial Embedded Linux solutions. The training covers the various components of an embedded Linux target, the development choices and the different debugging possibilities. A more detailed look is also taken at the Linux kernel architecture and important issues such as cross compilation and building of the main components. The training finishes with some more specific subjects to the choice of the participants (such as Real Time Linux, Qt development, etc…).
During this training all participants get the opportunity to build and experiment with a multifunctional small-footprint embedded target with an LCD touchscreen interface, which can be kept after the training.
After successful completion of the course, the participant will be able to configure a Linux kernel for use in embedded, real-time systems and develop optimized real-time software for such a system.
Software engineers and designers developing software for embedded systems with a need for optimised performance, footprint and cost.
- Good working experience with Linux
- Good IT Background
- C/C++ Programming experience on Linux or Unix
Day 1 & 2: Welcome and Walkthrough
In-depth look at the system architecture
- File systems
- More on Bash
- Text Editor and Linux command line utilities
- GNU make, gas, gcc, ld, gdb
- Linux bootup process
- Compiler options
- Remote debugging
- Options, built-ins and defaults
- Build hierarchy - structure, scripts and makefiles
- Setting up the cross compiler environment toolchain
- Busybox, buildroot, openembedded/angstrom, ltib
Day 3: Advanced Development
- Processes and the scheduler
- Memory management
- Modules, kernel
- Char, block, network
- How to optimize the kernel for latency
- How to optimize boot time
- Realtime Linux
Day 4 & 5: Embedded Development
Host / Target relationship
- Cross compilation
- Compiler preparation (exercise)
- Linker preparation - ldscript, crt0
- Building an embedded kernel
- Building the root file system
- Most important components
- Booting – u-boot, redboot, grub, lilo, others
- A running system
- Upgrading your target
Additional subjects chosen by participants, such as:
- Networked targets updating techniques
- Linux kernel development overview
- Real Time Linux and Xenomai, Performance analysis
- Deeper look into Embedded QTK, Qt Embedded, Webkit and Enlightenment, building from a distribution of choice, etc…
- Further study
Course/Workshop, classical educations with practical exercises.
Course materials provided, complemented with a book and one HW development board (currently:
BeagleBone Black 1Ghz ARM Cortex-A8 based board with a 7 inch touchscreen and expansion board). You are allowed to keep both the book & the HW development board.
Course participants will receive a HTI certificate based on exercises.
Expected in the Spring 2017