Value Engineering to kick-start your development project
Price:€ 11.000,00 excl. VAT
Duration:3 consecutive days
Contact:firstname.lastname@example.org, 085 401 3600
You want to make products that perfectly meet your customer needs. Also they're affordable and profitable for your company.
The goal of Value Engineering is to guarantee profitability by improving the ratio between Value and Cost. We do that by looking at the functional value of the product for the user. And which elements drive the cost. Next we think of better solutions meet the functional requirements.
This structured approach delivers a higher gain of your activities. 30% cost improvement is not unrealistic. And not only that: it usually saves you development throughput time which improves your time-to-market.
And: often the throughput time of your project gets shorter, as well as the throughput time of your deliveries.
The aim is that you are successful in your business, become a market leader and/or stay at that position. Assure your competitiveness and profitability, at mid and longer terms, and secure the ability to make future investments.
Read the interview with lecturer Goof Pruijsen (in Dutch).
Consists in 3 parts:
- Mutual understanding of the problem by sharing information and joint analysis.
- Creative phase
- Building scenarios and make selections.
In more detail:
1. Information sharing and joint analysis:
- Commercially: do you understand why your customers buys your product, and what is the appropriate performance level.
- Technically: what are the technical or non-technical functions necessary that meet the requirements.
- What drives the value and the cost
2. After understanding the problem your team will become much more creative
Ideas are gathered through brainstorming and in a more structered format: create a range of solutions that solve the separate functions.
3. Building scenarios from the gathered ideas, and optimize them by challenging against the original requirements.
How: The Value Engineering Way-of-Working
The way we help you reach the above is to kick-start your project team at their task designing a new product for your market or make an existing product more profitability. Very important: in the early phases of a project when there is still room to maneuver.
The project team for new product development usually consists of a multidisciplinary group of people: product management, project leader, architect, lead engineer, engineers, purchasing, manufacturing, service. Don’t miss an opportunity: your supplier(s) can be part of the team!
The kick-start is done in the form of a 3-day workshop, after preparation on the objectives and the content. During the workshop the team is trained and guided on the use of the value engineering methods, directly applied to the project. This gives you a double efficiency: you learn how to apply the method and you directly get result from it.
Intake on the project objectives consists of gathering the right level of detail in following information:
- Market: target customer, product performance level, competition, …
- Technical: technical requirements and specification, preliminary technical design concepts, …
- Cost estimates: Preliminary Bill-of-Material (or actual in case of re-designing existing products for cost reduction).
- Manufacturing & Supply Chain: where is the product to be manufactured, which suppliers will be necessary, supply strategies, …