- An introduction to light;
- Electromagnetic waves;
- Geometrical optics and ray tracing;
- Optical aberrations and system design;
- Polarisation and Birefringence;
- Optical systems;
- Light-matter interaction;
- Light sources and detectors;
- Tour to a small design and manufacturing company of mechanical and optical components during this Eindhoven edition;
- Optical measurement and testing;
- Illumination for optical inspection;
- Optical lithography (2 lessons).
The lessons include many demonstrations and are intermixed with hands-on sessions, as:
- Determination of refractive index of perspex and water using critical angle and Brewster angle;
- Total internal reflection;
- Gaussian imaging optics;
- Optical aberrations;
- Laser beam diffraction and interference;
- The diffraction grating;
- Measuring optical activity of sugar solution;
- The spectrometer;
The 5 hands-on sessions take 4 hours, the other sessions take 3 hours.
Study load excluding the class sessions: 3 hours a week.