Introduction to and history of IC technology, simple process flow (1 x 3 hrs)
Semiconductor devices and device physics (5 x 3 hrs)
- Distribution and transport of charge carriers in semiconductors;
- Semiconductor fundamentals;
- PN junction diode;
- MOSFET transistors;
- Bipolar transistors;
- Small and large signal behavior, first and second order effects;
- Relation between the semiconductor technology and the behavior of the devices.
MOS and bipolar IC processing (5 x 3 hrs)
- Ion implantation;
- Chemical vapor deposition (CVD);
- Physical vapor deposition (PVD);
- Wet processing;
- Plasma etching;
- Photo lithography.
Several advanced topics (like high-K, SOI, FinFET) will be addressed briefly in the device physics / technology part: What are the essentials, the (dis) advantages and consequences.
Electrical process characterisation and monitoring (PCM and testing, inter/intra layer isolation, sheet resistance, contact, via, TLM, elementary transistor measurements, parasitics, diode leakage, capacitance measurements), data analysis and statistics, visit of a test lab and, if feasible, a cleanroom at HTC Eindhoven (3 x 3 hrs).