A basic knowledge of semiconductor physics and devices and of IC processing is needed for quite a number of functions: from IC technology engineers to test and product engineers and IC designers. This course is an introduction course and lays the foundation and focuses on the relation between the semiconductor technology and the behavior of the devices.
After the course, the participant will have acquired:
- A basic knowledge of semiconductor physics and devices
- A basic knowledge of process steps in IC technology
- A basic knowledge of MOS IC processing
- Some knowledge of bipolar IC processing
- A basic knowledge of electrical process characterization and monitoring
- A basic insight in the relation between the semiconductor technology and the behavior of the devices.
€ 2.975,00 excl. VAT
14 evening sessions
05-02-2019 | 17:00 - 20:00
Junior IC designers, test and product engineers, IC technology engineers, employees who need to h...
Junior IC designers, test and product engineers, IC technology engineers, employees who need to have basic knowledge of IC techniques. Also for experienced engineers who want to extend their scope. Required educational level: BSc / MSc in Electronics, Physics or Chemistry. Experience and/or additional knowledge is not required.
Introduction to and history of IC technology, simple process flow (1 x 3 hrs)...
Introduction to and history of IC technology, simple process flow (1 x 3 hrs)
Semiconductor devices and device physics (5 x 3 hrs)
- Distribution and transport of charge carriers in semiconductors
- Semiconductor fundamentals
- PN junction diode
- MOSFET transistors
- Bipolar transistors
- Small and large signal behavior, first and second order effects
- Relation between the semiconductor technology and the behavior of the devices
MOS and bipolar IC processing (5 x 3 hrs)
- Ion implantation
- Chemical vapor deposition (CVD)
- Physical vapor deposition (PVD)
- Wet processing
- Plasma etching
- Photo lithography
Several advanced topics (like high-K, SOI, FinFET) will be addressed briefly in the device physics / technology part: What are the essentials, the (dis) advantages and consequences.
Electrical process characterization and monitoring (PCM and testing, inter/intra layer isolation, sheet resistance, contact, via, TLM, elementary transistor measurements, parasitics, diode leakage, capacitance measurements), data analysis and statistics, visit of a test lab and, if feasible, a cleanroom at HTC Eindhoven (3 x 3 hrs).
Open enrolment (environment Nijmegen or Eindhoven) or in-company.
Classroom teaching and homework. Course material: books and a course binder....
Classroom teaching and homework. Course material: books and a course binder.
Certificate in case homework results are sufficient.
'Most important items I have learned: Differences in processing methods, basic physics of semiconductor and diode.'
'It is a new field for me so I have learned a lot of new things.'