This course focuses on the various aspects related to metrology and calibration of precision modules/systems. Participants will acquire theoretical background and practical insights incl. do’s & don’ts – both on system design level as on detailed engineering level – related to metrology and calibration that are essential to successfully develop and build precision modules/systems.
After completion of the course, the participants understand the basic aspects, risks and concepts related to metrology and calibration and are able to judge solutions and implications on system level.
This course is intended for mechatronics designers, system engineers and architects who are involved in the multi-disciplinary development of accurate motion modules/systems in which metrology and calibration play an important role in the overall system accuracy.
Prerequisites: Technical education (BSc or higher), with at least two years of experience and preferably completion of the course "Mechatronics system design" (Metron1&2) or the former Philips-CTT course Metron.
· SI system and traceability
· Definitions (repeatability, reproducibility, uncertainty etc.)
· Components of a measurement system
Short range sensors
· Sensor terminology (range, resolution, sensitivity etc.)
· Sensor types (capacitive, inductive, optical etc.)
Long range sensors
· Displacement interferometry (principle, components, error sources etc.)
· Encoders (theory, various types)
· Measurement machine for freeform optics
· Case will be used and developed throughout course
· Analysis of existing solutions
· Performance estimation (uncertainty calculation)
· Control theory summary
· Influence of sensor properties
· Influence of sensor placement
· Applying corrections
Metrology on system level
· Design principles for low uncertainty
· Error types
· Rules of Abbe and Bryan
· System loops
· Quantity of concern
· Error budgeting basics
· Calibration terminology
· Calibration instruments & artefacts
· Self-calibration and reversal techniques
· Application examples
· Use of calibration data
Case SMT system
· Vision metrology
· Calibration of series products
· Data logistics for field replacement units
This course is certified by the European society for precision engineering & nanotechnology (euspen) and the Dutch Society for Precision Engineering (DSPE) and leads to the ECP2-certificate.
'Most important items I have learned: Broad overview of calibration strategies.'
'Well organized, nice lecturers, good material.'
€ 2.245,00 excl. VAT
3 consecutive days
06-11-2018 | 09:00 - 17:00
07-11-2018 | 09:00 - 17:00
08-11-2018 | 09:00 - 17:00